Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by Trystan
I started hunting with a 7X57 and it killed game very well! Eventually I picked up a 270 and for 11 years it was the only rifle I hunted with and it seemed to always kill game same as my 7X57 did. For the last 4 years I've hunted with a 6.5X55 swede and interestingly enouph its panning out to be more of exactly the same. In fact I can't tell the difference between the 7X57, 270, or 6.5X55 swede!

I have heard that cartridges are more alike than different! Pick a good bullet and go kill [bleep] it isn't that difficult and game die easy when the bullet is placed properly. If I had to pick which cartridge of the three it would be the 6.5 swede purely bases on the fact that I can get Lapua Brass for it and it kills exactly the same as a 7X57 or 270

Trystan

Interesting you say that.I see a great difference between all of the above. I have used the 7x57 on elk and ttsx's and although it worked, it worked about as well as my 25/06 with the same Barnes bullet. My confidence steps up with a .270 or 30/06 and ttsx's. Bull elk are the baseline in this region. My little old opinion.Cheers

Makes sense if your useing Barnes bullets. I've always used cup and cores. In my experience hunting with friends who use copper bullets they require a more powerful firearm to kill on par with a cup and core of a smaller cartridge.

Last edited by Trystan; 09/20/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field