I received my 1st 270Win for Christmas from my parents when I was 15. A brand new Win M70 Lightweight. The reasoning was simple enough, dad was a reloader and shot a 270Win. I could shoot a 270Win essentially for "free" as there were always quite a few components on-hand. That was pretty much the extent of my decision regarding what I should use. Win 760 and a 140gn Nosler BT @ 2850ish was just right for deer, and I could run them on dad's Dillon 550 ALMOST as fast as I could shoot them up.

I've been though several "stints" with other chamberings, but have also always kept at lest 1 example of a M70 Lightweight/FWT. Then, I was able to nab a M70 SS Classic Fwt that is exceptionally accurate AND, Barnes introduced their TSX line of projectiles, and everything fell into place for me. Since I'd always shot 140's through the 270, that seemed a logical place to start w/the TSX's. I grew up with a Dillon 550 at my disposal and as such also have a strong attraction towards powders that meter well through automatic/Culver style measurers. Shortly after my 1st box of component 140TSX's I came onto this board and MuleDeer (JB) suggested that he'd experienced good luck w/Ramshot Hunter and 140's from the 270Win. So I stuffed some together. Accuracy was fantastic and velocity is a bit over 3K FPS. That was 14-15yrs ago. That 270Win M70 SS Classic Fwt is in a McMillan Fwt pattern stock and is one of the most "honest" rifle's I've got. It's extremely predictable, needs to be scrubbed every 80-100 shots, retains POI after 2 foulers, and doesn't offer up "bad" surprises.

I was lucky ~2yrs ago and stumbled into a 2nd M70 Classic SS Fwt, acquired a Brown Precision stock for it, and, lucky for me, it will shoot the same ammo as my other SS Fwt. I can run brass shot from either rifle through a Forster bushing sizer, load it, and it will cycle well through either rifle with nary a hint that it won't fit one or the other. It's a wonderful situation in that I can grab both rifles, 1 box of ammo and hunt anything I can draw or buy a tag for anywhere within a 2-day drive. Those 270's using the 140TSX have taken deer a bit beyond 500yds and well under 100yds. Caribou just under 400yds and elk just over 400yds. I recently added a Kimber 84L with a 1:8 twist LIlja in the factory bbl contour. In that rifle I'm shooting the 150 ABLR and though I've only had it a short while, I've killed an elk and a couple of deer with it from 75yds out to just under 550yds. They just work, and I'm not giving up my 270's anytime soon.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.