Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I got my first 270 about 31 years ago. A Ruger M77. It was a POS. My older brother got the same rifle, about 3 years before I did. It was also a POS. My two step-brothers got the same rifles. One a year before me and one a year after. The older of the two was a good shooter. I observed that it shot far better with every different ammo tried than any of the others, including the rifle of the younger step-brother, which was a POS. I don't know why 3/4 of those rifles purchased in a roughly four year period ended up shooting so badly, but it soured me. It soured all of us, actually.

Eventually, the older brother moved on to 280's and had great experiences, then onto the Short Mags, again with great experiences. The older step-brother went straight for 300 Mags, and though he rarely shoots, is quite an accomplished hunter and impressive marksman in the field. I witnessed the same when we were in our teens. The younger step brother inherited a couple 30-06's from his grandfather, and did a bit of hunting, but a tragic accident cut that short. I never trusted my 270 in the field, because it never shot what I thought was remotely acceptable. I hunted with it several times, and missed a few times. I mostly hunted with my father's guns, which shot well, until I moved on to lever guns in several calibers, and then settled on a 30-06 for the "cross canyon" stuff.

A couple years ago I got into another 270, after working up a load for a buddy and his 270, an M70 Featherweight, which shot ridiculously well with what it preferred. Mine turned out to do nearly as well. I blooded it the first time I took it out, and every time I have hunted with it, I have killed with it. I consider it "lucky" now. I plan on elk in the timber this year, and so will be packing a lever gun in one of three flavors, but when I need to do the "cross canyon" stuff again, I'll pack the 270.

There was a time when the co almost went under. The story was Ruger used inferior barrels during that time. Iirc, it was years later when I read Mr Ruger admitted that to be true. Afaicr.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin