I remember as a young boy reading diligently all the Jack O'Connor stories I could get my hands on and knew that someday I would own a .270. I had memorized his load that he would use of 62.0g of H4831 in W-W brass and a 130g bullet. I knew that if I ever got to the point where I could reload....that would be my load too. After saving and saving and along with some help from my Dad the day came when I bought a Rem 721 in .270 at age 13.

Factory ammo was the only thing that it saw for the longest time until I started to reload after marriage and the first of our boys. I loaded up the same formula but this time it was in an early Ruger with the tang safety. Man was I disappointed when that Ruger did not deliver the size groups that Jack got our of his shooters. I tried and tried to find the magic formula with bullets , powders and primers but to no avail. It was replaced later with a Win Model 70 .300 Win Mag and the Ruger was given to a son who was newly married.

My first deer was taken with that Rem 721 with open sights at about 80 yards and it put down a small 3x3 Idaho Mulie. Many other deer and elk followed and that trend continued with the .300 WM. I liked the .300 WM due to it's increased distance and a heavier payload.

Now as I'm without boys in our home I tend toward the long range shooting and the 6.5 Creed and the 6.5 Grendel as do our sons.

Fondest memories of those bygone days with the .270 and my dad out hunting. I still have a reverence for the cartridge.