I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 270 the first year they came out.....1978, I believe. It was the only rifle I used for about 25 years, and I probably averaged killing 2 deer a year with it. It was, and still is, a very accurate rifle. Used O'Connor's load of 60.0 grains H4831 with a 130 grain bullet. If there is another combination that kills a deer any quicker, then it has yet to be invented.

I have not used the 270 to deer hunt with in several years. That's partly because of bad shoulder, and with recoil bothering it, although the 270 isn't that bad. I have just started using other cartridges, mostly the 243 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, because they have little to no recoil, and kill a deer just as dead. Plus, I also don't hunt as hard as I used to, and could care less if I shoot anything or not. My goal is let the grandkids kill a deer.

But, I will say this.........if something happened, and I won a trip to someplace where the chances of taking a B&C deer was really good, or I draw a Kentucky elk tag, or I was faced with having to kill a deer, or else.......I would use my old 270 and never give it a second thought. I have that much confidence in the rifle and in the cartridge.