I came into the 270 pretty late after being a dyed in the wool 30-06 guy for about 20 years. I carried a 30-06 of one form or another throughout the 48 and Alaska, never really wanting more. I dabbled in others from 257 Rob to 375 H&H, but kept with the 30-06 for 90% of my big game hunting.

My current 270 came to me because I liked the rifle, semi-light and good balance. I’ve used it exclusively the last 3 seasons, again because of the rifle. I’ve taken my last two whitetail bucks, one good sized hog and a nice buck antelope with it so far. I haven’t had them move at all once hit with anything from a 110 TTSX to a 150 partition. The 150 loads with RL26 are on par with 30-06/180 loads IMO. I’m not a long range shooter, 300yds is a long shot for me. For practical ranges, it’s tough to beat the trajectory/power/moderate recoil balance that the 270 offers. Ammo is cheap and easy to come by when traveling. To me it’s the complete package for big game shooting. I still have my pet 30-06’s, but when it’s time for a rebarrel, it will be hard not to go with the boring 270.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's