I don't hate the .270, but I'd never buy one.

I have a 7mm-08 that kicks significantly less - which is important to me - and performs close enough to the .270 (at least with factory ammunition) that I don't feel handicapped in any comparison with that venerable American classic.

And yes, I know all the arguments why a .277 bullet that is 10 grains heavier than my .284 bullet, when started at roughly the same speed, is "better" than what I'm using. I just don't care - the difference is too small.

And I know that it is relatively easy to juice up a handloaded .270 so that its 150gr bullet will go significantly faster than my 140gr bullet. Again, I don't care.

The 7mm-08 is enough for my needs, and gentle enough on my shoulder, that I can really enjoy shooting it, while having solid confidence that it will do well in nearly any hunting situation in which I am likely to find myself - as long as I do my part. All of which is more important to me than ft-lbs, muzzle velocity, SD, BC, or any other numerical value you want to put on it.

I wish I had learned this 40 years ago, and spent less time searching for the "perfect" rifle and cartridge and more time searching for elk.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke