Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Don't understand the "still" part of the question.

D D, it makes perfect sense to those who used one. whistle

Jerry

Oh. Well, try as I might life ain't long enough to like them all I guess. Won't bother y'all with the list of the ones I still like, it's kinda long. I have fond memories of the 20mm.

laugh

I thought that I would throw a 30mm into the mix. I never worked on a 30mm, but I've spent a lot of hrs with the M61A1 and M39 20 mm guns. Here are the M61 and a GAU 8 guns firing. Nice groups. Those A10s are so quiet. By the time you hear them, you're dead.

A-10's were all built in my hometown, Hagerstown, MD, by Fairchild. Everybody I knew, it seemed, worked on that project at one time or another including two of my BIL's. It would also seem that everybody in that town has a dummy 30mm souvenir round- employees swiped them by the car trunk full.

As for .270? Whyinhell not? Dead is dead no matter the source of it. My personal avoidance of .270 is because there is, like, five molds for .270 cast bullets vs. a couple hundred for .30 caliber.

I have about 15 different 30 cal moulds, and only two in .270. But that's no hindrance.

The RCBS is a beauty. Their basic rifle design has worked incredibly well in every caliber I've tried it, though. The 270 version is no exception. They end up at 155 grains gas-checked with my alloy that is a mix of wheel weights and range scrap that I water-drop, and will shoot into less than an inch for 5 at 100 with 34 grains of 3031. Basically one hole. I'm sure that'd do for deer/elk/whatever out to a few hundred yards. Need to get them chronographed and get them out hunting. They are well above 2k fps.

The Lee shoots just as well, but I haven't been able to get them shooting as fast. Casts at 138 with gas check, same alloy as the RCBS. 21-23gr 2400 and I was sniping half-liter water bottles at 200 yds. 26 gr of IMR 4198 shot faster (flatter) and about as accurately. Never got a chronograph on them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.