Originally Posted by ol_mike
A friend has 30+ Weatherby Mark V's the majority in brand new condition some still new in the box . Some dating back to the early 60's - high grade models etc. etc. .
I was talking to him a while back about this topic - he said i ruined his day by giving him the opinion that the rifles might be a flop money-wise . Lots of big caliber stuff 340 -378 - 460 etc. some smaller stuff too .
He has it in his head that those rifles are the absolute best and most sought after rifle ever built and that they're worth a fortune . Me i'm not so sure about that .
He has pushed me to get rid of those Remingtons and he'd find me a good rifle through his connections .

I'd have to say your buddy will be in for a shock. He's bought into a bill of sale, that isn't true. I'd bet good money he couldn't get his investment out of them, much less having gone up in value. Very few guns have gone up in value and I can tell you for a fact they are good clean used guns that were manufactured better than they are being manufactured today. Apparently some of you have given up on gun shows, because those older guns people are trying to sell, and were counting on them having gone up in value to help with their retirement. I'm thinking that many of the older guns at those shows haven't even been shot in 10 years, yet they still aren't worth, what was anticipated.
I'd wager again, that the majority of folks at the gun shows can't get what they have into the majority of those guns. They will be lucky of they don't lose a lot. But the longer they wait, the harder it will be to get any money out of them. Especially the older Winchesters.
Guns that are priced substantially lower than people think they are worth, have a chance of selling because there are still guys out there that think they can make some money out of them. They will be surprised to find out they can't.
Young people not only don't know anything about guns, their taste in guns is the same as the amount of money they have and that's very little. Manufacturers have figured that out, and have adjusted. and are letting the accountants design the guns. Long guns are taking the biggest hit at this point, but handguns will be following soon. As time goes on, it's going to get worse. Count on it. I didn't buy my guns as investments, but I certainly didn't expect to take a big hit when it's time to down size, because I'm getting to old to use many of them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain