Originally Posted by lvmiker
Norinco AKs have always been well regarded. There was a time when folks could buy the goofy thumbhole stocked version for $200.00-$250.00 each. Some bought them, others invested in bicycles and old kettles. The beauty of America is that everyone is free to make their own decisions.

mike r

A good alternative are AK & AKMs assembled in Nevada USA by company called Arsenal. Depending on model used one in great shape can be had for about $900. As someone pointed out correctly the money for a gun is made at the purchase not at the point of sale. Recently I recommended 20ga SxS shotgun to someone that was looking for good looking shooting gun. It turned out to be Japanese-made Winchester of Anson & Deeley type limited edition called Grand Canadian. The asking price for gun in excellent condition was $1400. As population ages the prices on certain firearms are only going to get better and better.
Looking at present American market and realizing most gun owners are former military one possibility is wartime P-38s made by Mauser, Walther, Speelwerk (most common). The prices are relatively low. I would stay away from late war vintage because they were made/assembled by slave labor and concentration camp inmates where there were known acts of sabotage against German war industry. I would not want to see someone injure themselves shooting one.