Originally Posted by Sycamore
probably the best, most useful (actionable) information in the thread so far:

Originally Posted by Shaman
If this gun-as-an-investment thing could have worked, then the process of divestment should have started a good 5 years earlier while my friend still was able. He could have gotten top dollar for everything by calling around in his network of collectors. He could have probably kept a few treasures, and made written instructions on who to call. He could also have kept trading-- that was his real passion. However, he should have kept an eye out for steadily reducing his inventory. He should have also kept an inventory of what he had and done at least some estimate of what it was worth. Probably the worst loss of all was the fact that there was little or no written provenance on any of it. That's history that's lost.

As an example, there was this fellow he knew way back that asked him about becoming an engraver. My friend gave him some encouragement and later on received one of his earliest pieces. It was this gorgeous 38 special revolver-- stunning. I met the engraver once back in the early 80's. The guy's dead now, but his artistry made him a legend-- forget the name; it's been too long. Anyhow, there would be folks giving their eye teeth for an example of that guy's work. I pointed the piece out to the widow. She noted it on the inventory sheet. Lord only knows what it fetched, but I can guarantee it didn't get what it deserved. It's now out there floating around and no one knows who did it or what it is truly worth.

Thank you! I appreciate your appreciation.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer