I just got one of these, and am waiting a few days for the ammo to arrive. So, I haven’t chronoed it yet or determined the accuracy of any round.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I’m asking all you prolific elk hunters whether you would consider using that cartridge on a Colorado mountain elk hunt where long shots may be the only ones.

FWIW, I am not asking if it’s the best cartridge for elk, or whether you’d prefer something else. I’m basically asking something along the lines of: If you took your favorite elk rifle to a mountain elk hunt; it got run over by a tracked dozer; and you happened to have access to a 6.5-300 Wby all sighted in, would you feel good, bad, indifferent, happy, sad, depressed, giddy, or whatever by the prospect of using a rifle chambered in that caliber on a prized elk hunt.

Assume recoil isn't an issue, as it won't be for me. Also, please ignore rifle weight and all those other things. Assume your friend carried the rifle for you, or whatever, and you're getting ready to take a shot at an elk anywhere from 50 yds to 600 yds.

Assume the following two possibilities at 10,000 ft:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Many thanks in advance for any input.