Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
MarineHawk thanks for writing up your moose hunt and posting more photos. My son ooh'ed and aaah'ed and oh geez'ed through the story! I'm grateful.

Do you handload? Like Dirtfarmer said, don't give up on the Sciroccos yet if you do. They have required some tweaking of seating depth in all but one rifle, after finding a consistent powder charge, for me.

Thanks for the nice message HNS. The funny part to me was that we finished about 2/3 of the skinning and butchering by about 9:30 pm. We hung our sweaty shirts on the horns to hopefully dissuade any bears from stealing the moose. Went back to the only place to put up a tent, about 100 yds away. Guide started cooking dinner, and I put up the tent. The moose wasn't visible from where we had to camp. We were at least 80 miles from the nearest road or building and likely dozens of miles from the nearest person. I built a huge trash and driftwood fire to hopefully help keep bears away from the moose. Started drinking with/after dinner. Stayed up to 3:30 am, during which, every 30 minutes or so, I would fire my 10mm semi-auto into the air and we would scream juvenile obscenities at any potential bear thief. I got up at 7:30 am, donned my waders, and was thankful that the moose was still there.

I won't give up on the SS, but I don't reload--yet. I will try the 127gr LRXs, and put the new free-floating stock on, and work again with everything. The SSs didn't do poorly, and are good enough for elk hunting I think. The 140gr ILs were just a bit better. Gonna play around with it and see what I can get. I'm also pretty frazzled and sleep-deprived from work right now. So, maybe a day off will help. I've basically given my 16-yr-old son my 7mm Wby, which this new one somewhat duplicates, only a bit flatter. So, I think I'm going back to the range tomorrow, while he's at work, and then again on Sunday, when we will alternate the 7mm and the 6.5-300.