Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
My former riflesmith once told me a good barrel should never need a pressure point. I found that true on numerous bolt rifles both custom and factory. If the barrel does need a pressure point to shoot well then something is amiss, it's a bandaid solution. Others will disagree but that's been my experience.

That was my thinking as well. I may call B&C to see if they have an explanation.

Does that include rifles that have barrels bedded completely like a NULA or Barrett Fieldcraft? My Barrett shoots very well. Also, my pre 64s Standard models have a barrel bump from what I have read and they shoot very well too. Is the barrel bump a solution to get mass produced barrels to shoot well?

I'm not an expert but it might well be. The bumps dampen barrel vibration I was told. Some barrels have alot of vibration and some don't. Barrel harmonics.

That's what I assumed as well, and also that a fully and properly bedded barrel really doesn't have any pressure points, as all surfaces of the barrel and action are in contact with the bedding.