Originally Posted by MarineHawk
So, I landed some Weatherby-loaded 156gr Berger Elite Hunters. They have a ridiculous B.C. of 0.68, which checks out with my Labradar out to 75 yds, which is where it loses them.

Both the 140gr Accubonds and the 156gr Bergers shoot really accurately out of my rifle. My 1-8" twist rifle seems to like the heavier bullets, though some others apparently don't. It seems like they are six of one and half a dozen of the other. I can’t really think of much of a compelling reason to pick one over the other. The only things I can think of are that longer-term the Bergers may be gentler on the barrel with their lower velocity, and at 10,000 ft, which is about how high I will hunt, the Bergers match the velocity of the ABs at 700 yds (my self-limited max-max range and only if the winds are calm) and start to exceed the energy of the ABs by 250 yds. I also suspect that the Bergers may have a slightly reduced powder charge, but that’s a guess.

Is there any material reason to pick one over the other?

Based on my chrono results:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Whichever shoots better at distance. I’ve not used a Berger on elk, but the 140 AB is a solid bullet that will work. If they shoot the same, flip a coin.

Semper Fi