Originally Posted by Pappy348
I ran into a lot of good info on the WWW recently while dealing with an issue with my O/U. That guy that pals around with Petzal is pretty good, and not too high-tone. Bourgailiy?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/authors/phil-bourjailiy/

Haviland has written some good stuff on reloading shotshells, and Mule Deer had a good one on hard shot not long ago, as well as a good book, Western Skies.

Actually, I've published two books on the general subject. Western Skies is a collection of upland and waterfowl hunting stories published in various magazines, including Gray's Sporting Journal, Shooting Sportsman, Field & Stream and others.

In 1999 I also published Shotguns for Wingshooting, partly at the urging of Bob Brister, who though I should write more about shotguns. (We did some target and bird hunting together over the years, including my first trip to Argentina for ducks and doves.) While SFW was more technical, though also had quite a few stories to illustrate my points--and the publishing company liked the photos so much (which were both mine and Eileen's) that they turned it into a sort of coffee-table book, with LOTS of full-color photos.

They also priced it at $50, which not many hunters were going to pay back then. So it didn't sell well, and eventually Eileen bought the left-over copies for a really good price. We still have enough to sell it through riflesandrecipes.com for $26, including shipping--which is more like it.

But during those years I also learned that the shotgun writing field isn't nearly as broad as the rifle writing field, and didn't pay as well. Plus, it was already crowded with guys like Brister and Mike McIntosh. Both became good friends, and I learned a lot from them, one reason my research library has a 4-foot shelf of shotgunning books by Bob and Mike and others.

But I only write about shotguns occasionally anymore, even though I like them almost as much as rifles, and wingshooting perhaps even more than big game hunting. Recently my collection of shotguns has been increasing, partly because I've found some good deals--including a light hammer sidelock Sauer SxS 12 with 2-1/2" chambers, and a W.W. Greener boxlock ejector 12 SxS with damascus barrels. Am going to be doing an article on handloading for such old 12s in an upcoming Handloader, but that's one of maybe 1-2 shotgunning articles I do each year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck