Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I took a look at my shotgun references, and a couple photos. The main hardcover books are in the first image, and among the classic references not mentioned so far are Burrard and Greener. There's also some great info in collections of gun reviews, such as Bruce Buck's book of columns from Shooting Sportsman. There should be a copy of Terry Wieland's Spanish Best in this lineup as well, but it's obviously decided to rest someplace else in the house

[Linked Image]

There's also a lot of good shotgun writing in magazines, especially Double Gun Journal, Shooting Sportsman and Gray's Sporting Journal, where Wieland has been the shooting columnist since the mid-1990s. Double Gun Journal not only publishes Ross Seyfried, but some other authors such as Sherman Bell, who's run some very interesting pressure experiments on older guns. I was one of the original staff writers for Shooting Sportsman when it started in the late 1980s, but eventually had to quit because (as noted earlier) rifle writing paid better. But I still do one now and then--had an article on drillings in a recent issue.

Used to have a much larger collection of all three magazines, but had to start thinning it out because they took up way too room. Kept the ones with the most interesting articles--at least to me. While I have a number of "modern" shotguns, these days am more interested in older doubles.

[Linked Image]

Bell debunked a lot of "common wisdom" regarding pressures and chamber length. Even today, people don't want to hear it; it goes against their years of wrong-thinking.
grin

I realize the limitations of writing for a magazine. Your recent article on drillings covered a lot of ground in an entertaining way.

Rifles have a long history of being the shooting star in the minds of Americans, with shotguns being the more utilitarian tool. It seems that the Europeans and Brits had a bigger love affair with shotguns and made many as works of art.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”