Sometimes the shooting “problem” on game birds is easy, too easy at times, but is complicated by the commotion created when a squawking, whirring bag of feathers jumps out of hiding. The miserable cheaters sometimes even wait until you’ve walked past them before they take off. That said, I think that overall I’ve done better on the surprising ones than the ones I’ve spotted before they flushed.

I shot my first real claybird setup this season, a Five-Stand at my gun club. So far it’s been a lot of fun, and definitely not too easy for me. The operator lets you call your launcher(s) so you can practice what you want, and they move the traps around periodically. I’ve shot with my A5 and the 20ga O/U, and my long-standing preference for the A5 is definitely supported by my results with it. I have to say that one fits me pretty well. Still working out properly mounting the 20, but the advantage of using a reflex sight is that as long as the dot is in the right spot, the shot will follow, regardless of how you hold the gun. That may offend some purists, but I'm in the what works, works camp; no tweeds or vest or breeches or silly-looking socks. May have a tattersall shirt someplace, but my assortment of ties is limited.

What fresh Hell is this?