[quote=Dirtfarmer]

You going way back with the elder Askins. I have that book and the 1929 printing of his Modern Shotgun Loads. In the fly leaf are ads for books by Ed Crossman, Julian Hatcher, J.R. Mattern and Townsend Whelen. Quite an era. The Major was a great writer, very technical.. His son, the Col, wrote that his Dad hardly ever missed flying targets. He was not only one of the top gunwriters of his day, but was known to be a shotgun guru.

After I ended up (luckily and by chance) with the old man's personal Superposed, I did research, contacted his grandson, Bill Askins in San Antonio, got some interesting Askins info not otherwise published. Bill had been mentioned in the Col's book, Unrepentant Sinner. Reportedly he worked with the "company" in Viet Nam. When Siagon fell, Bill took his band of Montagnards into Thailand, commandeered a C-130 and few out with as many as he could. Others were put on a ship, but it was later captured by the enemy. Bill is into real estate and sells airplanes. Here's the link, sorta long but some good stuff. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

Bill offered me the Major's Ithaca 16 ga Grade 4 Ejector double gun. I had worked some with Walt Snyder, who has written books on Ithacas, thought he should have such a historical gun. I put them together, Walt bought the gun and wrote a great Double Gun Journal piece on it and the Major. It's the Winter, 2013 issue, starts on page 91. Those interested in such would enjoy it. Do I regret not getting that gun? Not really, it's in the right hands. And I still have the Super. And without Walt, that Double Gun article would have never happened.

DF

———————————

Tip o the Hat there D F
KUDOS !!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!