There's just not as much to write about with shotguns. A shotgun is like a golf club, if it fits you, and you swing it right, you'll hit with it. There's not much you can do to extend its effective range or accuracy. Yeah, I know, there's a whole cottage industry developed around selling supposedly high-tech screw in chokes to those gullible enough to think spending a hundred bucks or so on the latest, greatest will enable them to kill ducks another ten yards out, or jelly-head a gobbler another five. Truth is, those little round balls run out of steam pretty fast. Same with loading for them. If you want to tinker with miracle wads and different powders to see if you can beat factory loads, more power to you....live it up. There's really a very limited amount of performance improvement possible. Rifles, on the other hand.... put a new barrel on it, a different twist, throated for a specific bullet...a lot of fancy machine work that can be done to ensure shot to shot mechanical consistency. If you're tired of shooting it at 200 yards, stretch it out to 300, or 400 or spend some time and money and play with the big boys waayyy out there. There are so many things you can do with rifles (or handguns.) There are, in most places, year round hunting of some kind, there are all kinds of sport disciplines with rifled bores. At our club (all rifles and handguns) there are probably ten disciplines going on regularly. It's an unusual weekend when there aren't at least two or three events. With shotguns you can hunt birds, hunt ducks, or shoot clay targets. There's trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand and FITSAC and their similarities are greater than their differences.

Don't get me wrong. I love shotguns and have at least one specialized shotgun for every use I have for a smoothbore. I have a couple that I consider really, really nice shotguns. Back when I would spend as much on a shotgun as my friends might on a snowmobile or motorcycle they thought I was crazy. Most of those snowmobiles and motorcycles went to the junkyard decades ago. I'm still enjoying the shotguns and, if necessary or desired, I could get a significant portion of my money back after having used them for years. But I get them out, use them, clean them and put them away. There's not a lot of tinkering to be done with them.

Besides, Elmer Fudd carried a shotgun.

Mathew 22: 37-39