Originally Posted by Dustyone

LOL what you have a problem with is your own complete geological ignorance

So argue with the geologist that determined that these people were killed by a release of CO2 from the lake, I am sure that they could use a laugh

WHAT WAS THE MECHANISM THAT TRIGGERED THIS TRAGIC EVENT?
After investigating the site of the disaster, scientists were divided into two camps on the mechanism of rapid CO2 expulsion: (1) CO2 could have burst through the lake as the result of a sudden gas eruption, or (2) CO2 could have accumulated slowly in the lower part of the lake, only to be released abruptly by the overturning of the bottom waters by some unknown mechanism.

It had been known for years that the water in Lake Nyos was extremely enriched in dissolved CO2. The lake overlies a volcanic source, which appears to release CO2 and other gases. However, most of this gas does not escape into the atmosphere, but rather dissolves into the bottom waters of the lake. At a depth of over 200 meter, the sheer weight of the upper lake levels exerts considerable pressures on the bottom waters. This confining pressure allows CO2 to dissolve into the bottom waters without escaping to the surface, in much the same way that the cap on a carbonated beverage prevents CO2 from bubbling out of its container. At a depth of 200 meters, water can hold 15 times its own volume in CO2. It has been estimated that every liter of water in the lower part of the lake may have contained between 1 to 5 liters of CO2!

I would have to side with the first camp.

Any large eruption of hot volcanic gas would exacerbate the dissolution of CO2 from associated cold water. So first camp could very well effect actions of second camp.

I would expect diffusion of CO2 across a thermocline. I admit to no expertise in that matter.

Your earlier posts made no allusion to dissolved gasses.

And by the way, the solution and dissolution of gasses in water is Chemistry.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.