Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Been on this very trail a couple times long ago. And been in that canyon (Devils Gulch) or along the top more than a few times. Mostly chasing bears when hounds were legal to use for bears. Some rough meanass folks live in them areas on private land adjacent to NF, they even post no trespass signs on public land. You best pack some heat, and stay vigilant. My ex BIL used to backpack down into that canyon to fish, camp and hike back out. There's a reason it's called Devils Gulch. Packing a bear outta there is a lesson in hell. My late bear hunting friend would only take young hunters there, the ones hard up for a bear.

There is nearby Hites Cove on the south fork, another hell hole but at least you can use a SxS to get down there. So steep and nasty a fire fighter flipped his caterpillar and died a few yrs ago.
CalFire Dozer Operator Killed

Back in the day, Hites Cove 4WD rd:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

These days I stay away from the mtns at those elevations due to poison oak sensitivity plus all the marijuana growing activity. These canyons have both. In fact there was a shootout between marijuana growers just a few air miles from Devils Gulch last month: Shootout Results in Homocide

It is very hot, dry and dusty this time of the year in those parts. Plenty of rattlesnakes, deer flies and nasty spiders too. The brush is so thick in some areas you can't get thru, even on your hands and knees. Bet this place would break most of you, SAR would have to be called in to get some of you chest beaters out before you became vulture food. Lols

This trail and canyon would be the last place I would take a young family for an outing, doesn't make sense. He could have drove his family up to Yosemite and hiked to the falls where the mist would have been rewarding then took the family to dinner or lunch on the drive home.

You all can now return to your regular bitching and fighting, it's kinda funny. I'll update if I hear anything.

Anything to update MtnHtr?

And you bet there's some nasty spots in those foothills..........................from the OR border to the Southern one.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?