Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Except in Iowa where we have 35 cal. and up regs. Years ago my dad and I were hunting coyotes and we called in 5 in one particular stand. I got two, my dad got one, and they all dropped at the shots. Then the first one I hit stood up so I shot him again. Down he went. Then the second one I hit out at longer range stood up, so I shot that one again, and back down it went. I was using my Dad's. 243 with whatever ammo he had and in disbelief I asked Dad if he's had this trouble with a .243. He said Yea he's seen it happen with deer and coyotes and preferred to stay with round nosed bullets which helped apply more smack. I handed the gun back to him and said I'll stick with my 30-06 thankyou. I believe that was the last time I carried a .243 win in the field.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My dad is still available for a conversation if you doubt any part of this story. This happened 10 miles North West of Mission, Texas where I grew up. We were frequent coyote hunters out in the mesquite brush country where the coyotes were abundant and came in fast. I was in high school at the time and wasn't paying attention to finer details like bullet construction. Dad had the 243 ammo so I used it, and what I used will forever remain a mystery. With 243 Winchester bullet construction is very important for quickly dropping game. If the bullets are a little hard the game can really run.