Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Why would you use seconds for hunting? Practice, yes, hunting no! Bullets are the cheapest component of a hunt and just about the most important!

You obviously know nothing about Nosler "seconds."

They are not rated as "seconds" because they're defective. Instead they have cosmetic blemishes, which are detected by slowly rolling the bullets under a magnifying glass and a powerful light. They come from the same manufacturing of bullets as Nosler "firsts," which have already been tested in ballistic gel for expansion and penetration.

I have used a bunch of Nosler Partition seconds over the decades, in various calibers and weight, and almost all the time I cannot see any blemishes with my bare eyes. The only exception was a batch of 200-grain .30 caliber Partitions that had some discoloration--but they still grouped just as accurately as "firsts" of the same caliber and weight, and expanded and penetrated just as well--as have all other Nosler seconds I've used. The ONLY difference is the discount in price.
Betting that discoloration is something that didn't clean up in one of the wash processes. At least that's what Sierra told us was the issue with a lot of their "seconds".

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/13/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!