Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Had a friend that thinned the herd on Federal prison grounds, he used a 243 with sierra 85gr hpbt, he had 7 different picture on his wall with a dodge pickup with deer stacked even with the roof, he said a 243 with the 85gr sierra was a deer nightmare

It's a good bullet. The Sierra 100 gr GK is a good one also as my one buddy is proving. I'll have to ask him how many he's killed in different states with that now. He says he's never had one get out of sight in the woods. Slightly heavy for caliber and soft or somewhat brittle, I'm not sure which, but it does a number on them according to him without blowing them up.
I had a deer run 80 yards after taking one of those through the lungs. Quartering shot into the far shouder. No exit. Very little blood. Shot one through the lungs with a .22-250 and 55 gr sp. no exit and it ran 50 yards leaking no blood. Lungs poured out of both like so much grape jelly. Don't tell me soft/varmint bullets always drop them now because they don't and often there will be no exit and very little to no blood. It's just a matter of time.

I'm not telling you anything. What I am saying as a fact is that I load the Sierra 100 gr GK's for a buddy who hunts a couple different states every yr and is a deer killing machine. There can always be anomalies, but he loves the results with that bullet, so far. That's all I know. He's killed a bunch, he really likes it.
If you're hunting from a stand/fixed position and don't mind waiting for the right presentation and passing up the less than perfect/hard angle shots the soft little bullets will do fine.