Originally Posted by RIO7
Blackheart, I find it interesting that the under .30 calibers work in the open fields open woods, but not in heavy cover, dead is dead no matter where it is,or you just telling us you not a very good shot in heavy cover?? Rio7
Boy are you thick headed or what ? The small calibers kill about as quickly as the bigger ones as far as I can tell. What they don't do is put exit holes as big or as dependably and consequently as much blood on the ground as consistently as the bigger ones. That blood can be a big help in quickly/easily locating your deer in thick cover. Anybody who says different either hasn't shot many deer with many different calibers, is unobservant as hell or just plain dishonest. The buck I killed last Saturday with my .30-06 dropped at the shot but if he had run it's been my experience that the golf ball sized exit hole in his chest would likely have provided me with an easily followed blood trail. More so than the typical little dime sized or non existent exit from a .22 or .24 would.