Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
My boys have probably killed 20 to 25 whitetail deer with 243 Winchester and 85 grain partition over the last ten or so years. When they first started killing deer with 243 I was amazed at how well it kill and even posted about how impressed I was with the little bullet. The more they use it the less impressed I am with it (deer always run even when one or both shoulders broke, skimpy to nonexistent blood trails, etc).

The only load they’ve ever used on game is Nosler 85 grain partition loaded to right at 3,000 FPS in a Remington model 7 with 18 1/2 inch barrel.

Several years ago I bought 1,000 of partition 2nds cheap.

I realize my issues started when I started using the new lot of the partitions 2nds. Anyone think it’s possible that this lot of partitions aren’t expanding? Or maybe after they don’t have enough base left to leave good blood trails after the front blows off? Or is it simply bad luck?

Thanks

I used the 85 grain Partition for a couple of years out of a 243 pushed right at 3000fps. While it always gave excellent penetration I found exits to be small and wound channels not so wide. The dumping of some 35 grains of core was really not all that impressive. I had much better results with the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, 105 gr. Speer, and oddly the 85 grain Sierra BTHP.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]