Back SE Texas, in the late 60's to '70's, the 6mm Remington/100gr Corlokt in a mod 742 was the "ne plus ultra" Deer Rifle. Several older men had them ( we young ones didn't have any money to speak of) made do with 30-30s and military surplus 8mms, 6.5 Eyetalians and 30-06s. ha Funny, I only saw one 243 in years down there. I left that part of the country in '87. I now live in Utah. I have seen 243s in abundance out here, but this is "Barnes Country", and from 75gr to 100gr X and XLC were preferred. Now the 80 TTSX seems to cover it all.

Back in 2000, a neck surgery recovery had me shooting a little 6x47 (222 Magnum necked up to 6mm) Wildcat. I used the then 85 XBT, going a tad over 2700fps ( think short barrel 243 speed) Took it to Texas (Exotics) and killed an axis doe first ( outfitter was nervous about it) then I shot a very nice Axis Buck. And last, I traded The Rancher my custom 220 Swift and 100rds of Federal factory 55grTB and some money for a Scimitar Horned Oryx. Wind was swirling, but we got to within 184yds, from kneeling/supported I shot him at the neck/shoulder junction, which broke his neck and exited, he dropped, kicked once. The "insurance shot" at 75ish yards, he was on his side, I shot him at bottom of brisket, it broke his back and was just hanging out of the skin. It later weighed around 83gr (if memory serves) So....a 243 (or similar) needs (a) a good bullet (b) someone who knows how to shoot well Or keep shots close for youngsters, etc. In my humble opinion...:)

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/25/23.