Originally Posted by JamesJr
As much as I like the 223, and I own a bunch of them, there are far better choices for deer or bear. I know the argument is that with the right bullets it will do the job. But, by that token, so will a lot of other cartridges as well. There is documented evidence of a 22 rim fire killing an elephant and grizzly bears. However, that doesn’t make it a smart choice.

I’ve never shot a bear or seen a bear shot. I don’t know how you can say far better choices for deer? You might prefer other chamberings and that’s fine. I use other chamberings too. To say far better choices is just an opinion. Other cartridges make it harder to use the wrong bullets for the task at hand.

If I’ve ever shot a deer more than once with a 75gr amax I can’t remember it right off. I have either missed them had them make a little death run or bang flop. Just like every other cartridge I’ve ever used. Edit this to say I have had to make second shots with other cartridges and not saying they’re worse because of it. I just didn’t finish that thought

For the original poster I would recommend a 6 creedmoor and a suppressor.

Last edited by Kaleb; 03/22/23.