Originally Posted by Beaver10
25+ years ago ‘absolutes’ on a certain chambering were tossed about like quoting the Bible, here in the West.

You had to use a .30 cal for bear and elk. The 7mm would be okay, but you better be shooting a 160gr bullet, because 140gr will grenade on bone. You could get away with a 243 Win for deer, but a 270 or 06 was gonna work better. And on and on…

Woah doggie, how things have changed in today’s world of hunting.

I’ve only culled a couple deer at under 200 yards with a 223 shooting a 55gr soft point. Both died without fuss, but neither got swept off their hoofs like they’d been stoned by a larger caliber.

Personally, I’m good with whatever a guy feels comfortable shooting his game animals with. If the dude understands the ballistics of his cartridge and its limitations for being used successfully in the field. Heck, why not?

I will say, I hear more guys that live and hunt in the Midwest and SE discussing the viability of the 223 for hunting medium game animals than guys out West.

I’ve done both and I would have had zero issues shooting either of my WT bucks with a 223 Rem at the distance I killed them at from a blind.

Out West - I’m more comfortable starting with a .264 bullet.

🦫

Same here for the most part. I don't tend to care what people use whistle

Semper Fi