Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Honest question with no agenda when I ask this. I wonder what is better for killing a lesser recoiling rifle running on all 8 cylinders or a larger chambering throttled down?

I guess it depends on the bullet you have in mind. I've been present when several deer and hogs have been shot with 120-140gr 7mm bullets at muzzle velocities from 2200 to 2650 fps. Stuff bled and died just fine, without any unusually long death runs or such. A 100yd impact with such a load is likely not much different than a 250-300yd impact with the same bullet loaded to full power in a .280Rem, and most of us would say that the .280 is plenty of gun for such a shot. Next to placement, bullet choice and impact velocity matter most. I've also shot full power stuff with comparable recoil, mostly being 6mm and .257 chamberings, and I really can't say I saw a ton of difference on meat versus the reduced 7mm-08 loads. Trajectory might be a different issue, of course, should that factor in.

Thank you. I was curious if loading down would have much advantage over him just shooting something like a 6 creedmoor wide open.

I agree a supressed 6.5 creedmoor(mines a 260) is pretty comfortable to shoot. The 6mm version is even less if that matters. I might suggest getting a 1-8” twist tikka 223 and a 6.5 creedmoor. Same rifle same scope. Use both and see what you prefer.

Remington shows a 1-8” for the new 223’s. You could go with a 700 if you hate a tikka.

Last edited by Kaleb; 03/22/23.