I read the whole thread and understood some of it. Being more of a bird hunter, and more of a rifle shooter...I would recommend.

If you're seriously into hunting...a full size model 70 in 7mm08 - it's a rifle combo that you can use all of your life. It's not considered a 'kids rifle' and it will not kick much if any depending upon the load.

If you're more into 'shooting' and want something just in case you get the opportunity to go hunting...then I'd recommend a model 92 style lever action or ruger model 77 in 357, 44 mag or 45 colt. The 357 would be easier on the wallet...because some of them can shoot 38 special without issue.

If you're not really sure what you want to hunt and want to be able to shoot deer or bear at sometime, then a shotgun may be the ticket...because you get very light target loads to practice with with the options of slugs form big game. It doesn't need a scope inside of 100 yards with slugs. You could get a 12 gauge or 20 gauge - you're choice - just make sure that you aren't getting an ultralight shotgun and you'll be ok.

If you really know that you want to hunt and travel to hunt...find a local mentor, get a 30'06 (in a model 70 - just to spark 24 hour campfire argument on rilfe choices), start reloading for the 30'06 with like a rockchucker kit...you will have one rifle that you can reload from mild to wild and kill anything in North America.

YMMV

-John