Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel would make a nice balance of killing power and very modest recoil.

Animals are not hard to kill... when the right bullet and bullet placement are in the right spot.

Lower MV due to a reduced powder load... but the key thing to focus on is the type of bullet you use...

Considering bears, that are 250 lbs plus:

I'd rather have a 243 or 260 Rem, loaded with 30 grains of 4198 or RL 7, with say a Barnes TTSX in 100 or 120 grain Weight, than a 30/06 with a plain ordinary 150 grain bullet...

Last bear I shot was one I stumbled upon and it freaked and charged me... I shot it at 50 yds, about 3 steps into his charge on me...It collapsed and rolled down the hill side about 50 yds or more.. went down to make sure it was dead, and give a second shot if needed, it was gasping its last...

bear only weighted 125 lbs or so... load was a 100 grain Ballistic Tip, with 30 grains of 4198, out of the Muzzle at 2600 fps, chambered in a 260 Remington.

I had a tag, they were only $10 for residents.... only because it charged me... I gave it to a hunter I'd ran into earlier, who was hunting for bear... he'd been tracking this one evidently... I let him tag it and have it...

but the bullet and the powder charged work just fine in dropping him....he expired pretty quickly...

Last couple of deer I've taken with my 6.5 Grendal in a Ruger American Predator worked just fine...

one was 140 gr Speer, pushed by 29 grains of W 748.... second one dropped to 129 SP Hornady with the same charge of W 748.. close to a 30/30 speed/ NV...but with spitzer bullet at 30/30 speeds, and flatter shooting due to being spitzers.. both bullet exited on the opposite side and pretty much chewed up the organs inside of the deer...

they would have done the same to a 250 lb bear at the same distances... both are stout bullets...

Don't have one, but a 6 ARC with a 100 grain partition interests me also...or a 95 grain partition at close to 2900 fps mv...
using W 748 once again...may have to order an after market barrel for one of my rifles...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez