Originally Posted by Heym06
Seafire, what caliber, was used, since this is suggesting caliber of gun for the OP. Many here suggesting .223 and such. They kill but not my first choice, for deer or bear!

If it matters the caliber I was carrying with me was a 260 Remington on a Ruger 77 Mk2 platform...

Load was handloaded... 100 grain Ballistic Tip, 30 grains of IMR 4198...

A lot of local hunting where the shots are going to be what I call 30/30 ranges, 30 grains of 4198 is my standard charge...

whether it is a 243, up to a 30/06.. and pretty much everything in between... its a 30/30 load, and works just fine in a lot of rifles... recoil is pretty low.. I've loaded it a lot for Boy Scouts from our troop for 15 years or more.. 12 yr olds can handle it just fine.. regardless of caliber.. MV per caliber varies from 2200 fps to 2500 fps... Lighter bullets in a caliber work just fine for deer.

Zeroed 3.5 inches high at 100 yds, it will be dead on at 200 yds, and 3.5 inches low at about 240 yds, with a spitzer bullet...
Based the concept on an antelope is 14 inches high from backbone to breast bone... cut that in half and Its planned for a 7 inch window of opportunity...

hope that answers your question.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez