Originally Posted by Redneck
Ok, some understanding is beginning to sink in. The whole concept can be a bit overwhelming to someone who still remembers the 'Brownie'.. laugh

Hmmm, ok then, since a $5,000 camera's NOT gonna happen, and the 5D is 'old', is it still a good body for someone who's intent on this being the very LAST danged camera he's ever going to buy? Someone stated the 5D is a huge bargain for the bux, but it's still $2,300 alone and THEN the glass goes on the front..

I guess the bottom line is I really want to be in the $3,000 - $3,750 ballpark, and want the best I can get for that range which must include a great lens (ala 70-200 VR), bag, flash, chip, filter etc...

There's no way you can go wrong with the 40D, 70-200/4L IS, 24-70/2.8L. This would run you about the same as the D300 and 70-200VR combo. WAYYYY more bank for the buck with the Canon system. You absolutely can't go wrong with this gear. Plus, you've got you friends here (me and others) that can be much more helpful getting you started with a Canon platform.

The 5D's are such a great camera for the money right now, but if a fellow's trying to build up a lens collection at the same time the money difference might be better spent on lenses.

In Rick case, the 5D might be the way to go since you already have some nice glass.