Originally Posted by Stetson
Originally Posted by harv3589
I ordered the Canon 40D, grip and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens to start with and then the next one with be the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens in a couple months when I get my tax return...and if I can sqeeze it I would like the Canon 100mm macro (that might be a stretch for now)

That should get me going...I just finished purchasing a new tripod because my old one was real cheap/unsteady. For that I went with the Manfrotto 055XPROB, Manfrotto 468 hydrostatic head, Kirk Acra-style plate and Real Right Stuff L Plate.

I am guessing it will be 6 mths or so before the next rebate is out on Canon stuff?

Sounds like a nice set up. Congrats! Why the 70-200 2.8 Vs the F4 IS? I've had both and I greatly prefer the F4 IS. However if your a bokeh lover or into portraits the 2.8 is the better choice. The IS on the F4 is one generation newer, it's a fraction of the weight and about 70% less expensive. The 70-200 F4 IS is easilly one of my favorites.

That one I am still undecided on, I may go with the F4...my thoughts were that the F2.8 would give me more for later at dusk and early dawn shots.

Rob