Redneck. I would like to help clarify one thing. Stetson really was not suggesting the D300 is a P&S, not in the least. He was only saying that through your postings, it looks very much like you will be *using* it as a P&S. I gathered the same to be honest.

No need to stay off this thread, sometimes things get heated when people are passionate about the subject at hand. Hard discussions are part of what these forums are all about. Sure we could just blow sunshine up your ass about making an unwise purchase, but why would you want that? Wouldn't you rather hear peoples' honest opinions? I rather enjoy a good debate.

Let's talk about why you believe the Nikon is superior, I'm very curious to know and maybe you can set me straight, I'm all ears laugh I do have a 40D that gets carried as a back up for me but I have used it on occasion. I guarantee you this: there's nothing you can do with a D300 that I can not do with my 40D even better. That's the whole point here that I/we were trying to convey. Now, my 40D compared to my 1DmkIII, that's not the case. There are a few (or several) critical features that allow me to produce better images, period. So the additional cost IS justified to me.

Another thing. Have you actually purchased the D300 yet?, or just decided to buy it? If you did mention which, I can't recall.

Fanboyism now aside, let's discuss these SLR's. There's some good insight to be learned here.