Originally Posted by VTi
Redneck. I would like to help clarify one thing. Stetson really was not suggesting the D300 is a P&S, not in the least.
Actually he stated exactly that a few posts above. But, whatever...
He was only saying that through your postings, it looks very much like you will be *using* it as a P&S. I gathered the same to be honest.
Quite frankly, it's what I will be using it for initially until I can learn more and experiment more.. As I've indicated several times, I'm a newbie to all this technical digital stuff.. If I actually buy a P&S camera, it's hard to progress from there, is it not?

No need to stay off this thread, sometimes things get heated when people are passionate about the subject at hand.
I just thought that maybe it would be best if I just left. In no way did I want to start any war or hard feelings.
Hard discussions are part of what these forums are all about. Sure we could just blow sunshine up your ass about making an unwise purchase, but why would you want that? Wouldn't you rather hear peoples' honest opinions? I rather enjoy a good debate.
I hear ya..

Let's talk about why you believe the Nikon is superior, I'm very curious to know and maybe you can set me straight, I'm all ears laugh
As I (again) stated above, I thought the comparisons boiled down to two mainly basic things re: the body. The fit/feel in my hand is very similar to the Konica Minolta I have now. That, IMHO, should enable me to learn this system more quickly and concentrate more on learning technique vs. functions.. The two Canons I handled did not feel comfy. They felt clumsy to me. The system and controls seemed more foreign (if that's possible) to me than the Nikon. As has been indicated by someone way above (and I agree) it's not really the body but the lens that gets the image. The Canons, according to their website, offer only a very limited series of 'L' lenses that are supposed to be the best. Nikon seems (and I can be wrong, obviously) to have a somewhat better range of their high-end lenses available. The last place to scrimp, as I'm hoping you'll agree, is the lens..
I do have a 40D that gets carried as a back up for me but I have used it on occasion. I guarantee you this: there's nothing you can do with a D300 that I can not do with my 40D even better. That's the whole point here that I/we were trying to convey.
And that may very well be.. However, as a newbie, I cannot grasp the difference well enough to go to Canon.
Now, my 40D compared to my 1DmkIII, that's not the case. There are a few (or several) critical features that allow me to produce better images, period. So the additional cost IS justified to me.
Yes, and as a (I'm assuming here) a pro I can understand your choice.. Maybe I can give you a similar story. Let's suppose a newbie RVer is buying his first 5th wheel camper. Gross wt. on the camper is 13,000 with a pin weight of 2,250#.. He's considering a proper tow truck and his choices are an F-350 SRW SWB PSD or an F-350 LWB DRW PSD.. Either will do the job. Both have identical powerplants. Both can carry the load. Which will be a better choice? The DRW wins out for several reasons. Four rear tires = better load distribution and will not have to be adjusted, pressurewise, for the additional load. The LWB means no sliding compensating hitch will be needed to prevent cab damage when making sharp turns. Last, the DRW provides superior stability over the SRW.. Only real difference here is price; the DRW will cost a bit more, but IMHO it's more than worth it.. But then I'm fairly experienced, truckwise...

Another thing. Have you actually purchased the D300 yet?, or just decided to buy it? If you did mention which, I can't recall.
The box arrived about an hour ago from Cameraland..

Fanboyism now aside, let's discuss these SLR's. There's some good insight to be learned here.

I would love to..

To clear the air fully, I never (except for my retort to Stetson), ever intended any of my comments to come across as sarcasm.. I tend to post in briefer text that I guess could possibly be taken the wrong way.. I'll try to do better. I've been a member of the campfire since '98 and do my best to help others when there's a discussion on firearms, reloading or general hunting/shooting questions..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!