Thanks for that. For me it has distilled down to a belief reinforced by the experience. Neither the caliber or charge matter so much as where you apply the force. It is a difficult concept to sell to young fellows brimming with testosterone.

If anything takes the glow off of FPE pundits it would be this exercise. WDM Bell was doing something similar with elephants and his 7x57 on a MUCH larger scale. Admittedly, more horsepower allows for a little less precision and opens broader placement options, but I'm reasonably certain wildlife hasn't really started wearing body armor.

On another note, one of the points worth considering is the skeletal structure of hogs as represented above and how their skull is put together. In somewhat simplistic terms hogs have both an exterior cranium and interior cranium. Both are fused on the forehead and aft portions of the skull but have large cavities on the sides that isolate the brain from impact damage. If you look closely at the photo below you can see the shot that near made me pess me sharts and why it did not work. There are two layers of bone visible in the hole. The bullet deflected off the interior portion of the skull and shattered a small area of that bone, but did not penetrate. Perhaps it stunned, I do not know.

[Linked Image]

The next shot views from the back of the skull looking forward, opposite of bullet path. You will see the bone mass damaged in the lower right and entry hole in the background, center. The bullet came to rest about 1" behind the skull and fell out when the head was removed.

[Linked Image]

Path:

[Linked Image]

Endgame:

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain