Moose I don't know about, but there was a very large bear killed some years back by a woman with a .22 RF. One of the largest as I understand it. Don't think I'd want to visit that scenario myself.

Dan, I dunno what occurred with your beaver. It has been my observation that different animals have different architecture and I don't know anything about the 4 legged beaver. Mountain sheep have skulls which present a tremendous amount of bone around the brain so I'm fairly certain there could be a problem there too, perhaps even with CF rifles at an odd angle. I bounced a bullet from a .30-30 off a hog's forehead some years ago and she survived it to die another day. With that said, everybody has their own litmus on this subject and I don't recommend what I'm doing to anyone. Just passing along my experience.

If we read Forsythe's "The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles" 1862 we will find the following passage.
"The prime object of a shot fired at any animal of chase, be it the bashful sort that fly from you, or the audacious sort that fly at you, is, if possible, to kill or disable that animal on the spot."

All true, and it is an interesting read. See my comment about tightly laced tennis shoes. 67 hogs took one shot, one took two. Something is working. It is my opinion, as a result of this experience, that terminal ballistics may be one of the most poorly understood facets of the shooting sports. However, if one discards power for patience and precision, the standard is far less forgiving of error. Of that I am quite certain.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain