Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[quote]..... So far as bullets bouncing off, the reports I've read of various .22 RF bullets bouncing off of critters are numerous. Some I don't give credence and others I do. The event I told earlier about the .30-30 bouncing off tells me that if you have a shallow enough impact angle, anything is possible. If I'm shooting one today with the CB I wait for as near as perpendicular as possible between skull and bullet path for this reason. Such angles can be had if a hog is feeding, or if they are aware of you, they will alternate between looking at you over their nose (raised) and then lowering their snout nearly to the ground for a brief moment. If I don't get that presentation, I don't shoot.

Sounds pretty logical and straight-forward to me!

BTW, when growing up my teen years in NW Florida, met a fellow who's dad lived in Alaska. When visiting his pops once, Dennis claimed he witnessed a BROWN BEAR take a hit between the eyes with a .30/06, then watch as the bullet just fell to the ground! Was that a freak bear? O freak round or incident?

I suppose either is possible, but I wouldn't have fired only once! Plus I would've tried shooting the bear in the neck and mouth (closer to the spine and jugular that way), if not the shoulder and chest. But a bear is definitely a different critter than a hog or beaver too. wink