Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dan, I do hang out there at WSU and Mr. SPG has regaled me with tales of you fellas roughing it out in the wild. I do not, nor have I ever doubted your words. Your expertise with use and building of muzzle loading arms is far beyond anything I'll ever do, so I sit back and admire your work and wonder just how cold that water is when you wade around in buckskins setting traps. That's another subject of which I know nothing. SPG implies that water is fair cold during the spring melt, I believe him. Truly.

As I write, there is work underway in an Armory in Cody on an old small bore CF rifle and a .22 WRF Winchester pump...and a new slug gun creation. Of the three, the slug gun would be inappropriate for hogs unless I contrive a bench/blind combination and exude infinite patience. Both of the others would be superior for hogs no doubt, however, there is the matter of what I am allowed to do here by the state.

I am working an area of approximately 1200 acres in a permitted hog eradication program. This land is part of an island of about 3500 acres. About half the land is a preserve dedicated to endangered (1) or threatened (2) species habitat, that being an objective with which feral hogs are wholly incompatible. There are adjacent parcels of privately held land to which I also have access, so there is latitude to both trap and stalk. All of the smaller portion of state land and all of the private land is snuggled up in the middle of rural residential property and I do not have the latitude to use anything other than rimfires, with emphasis by the state in avoiding conflict with the residents.

I will state categorically that I could use LR ammo and meet the state's requirements. On the other hand, certain home owners adjacent to portions of the state lands and all of the private property are vociferously anti hunting and anti gun. When I do my chores and they remain blissfully unaware of my presence, we are all happy. Of the rimfires I own, and as measured with a sound meter, none are as quiet as the CB short shooter and none suitable for the task are more accurate. To that end, I have found the CB short adequate in all regards and have yet to collect battle scars beyond those inflicted by the NVA in times long past. I have no death wish or desire for more scars.

Semper Swamp,

Dan the Other

This explains many things, I had already figured the noise thing was an issue. I hate people knowing where I am.
I camped out a lot in a jungle paradise, the NVA missed me with solid objects though. But they seriously killed my poucho early one morning and it is somewhat disconcerting when the sun comes up and you have a "target backer" so to speak.

Welcome home.

Dan