Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Dphar, I am not questioning your experience.

I will say this: #1) One sample size does not indicate a trend. #2) the 4" barrel and the cylinder gap on a revolver may really have been the cause of your grief. Serious pressure loss right there. Dunno, just sayin.

Bottom line is the bullet struck exactly as aimed and DID NOTHING aside from making a white mark where it skipped off. I have never had a 22LR or a 22 WMR preform in this manner, they ALWAYS WORK.
In a situation like this there are only two valid outcomes, works or does not work. If it does not work ONCE that is all that matters. It then is unreliable and thus is a waste of time, energy and money, this was a commercial enterprise not sport. It payed the bills. Using a CB cap simply meant it cost twice the time and money to kill the beaver over using the LR in the first place.
The beaver was supposed to drown and did not. Any beaver alive in the trap may possibly escape (we were getting 40-50 bucks for blankets at the time). They also tend to turn and face the trapper and thus the frontal shot is the only viable option in many cases.
There was no justification for trying it again.

Dan