My comment was smartass indirectly (where is that poking stick smiley)...not intended to anger Dan but get him talking and continue the conversation. I was pretty sure if he used a CB on a beaver the trap worked but it was not set where the beaver would drown on purpose.

I don't trap but I researched it a few months because our private lake has a serious beaver problem along with nutria. We are not allowed to shoot firearms in the County, it's all private waterfront so I can't set traps anywhere but my small area, dogs are everywhere and I cannot draw my Hoyt with my current RC tears.

I have been night hunting with a Primos light trying to thin them out, I have to be very careful since my neighbors are close and I have a very limited area I can shoot safely. The very reason I use CB's. I am positive I have hit 10-15 beaver in the head and they have slapped the water and resurfaced forty yards away. I think a few probably made it to the lodge and died.

On the other hand, I am not having any issues taking out nutria at 15-25 yards with headshots, probably 20 in the last six months, I have found plenty of floaters. I am saying I believe I am hitting my target.

The single beaver I recovered was shot in the spine and imobilized, I had to go back and get my Hoyt to finish her off. A fat 45 pounder and the skull is in the freezer. I plan to boil and bleach it soon.

Since that first beaver, I have thought the CB may not be punching through and after looking at the skull, it does appear pretty thick. I have not had many shots lately but I don't think between the eyes or top of the skull are going to work well on the fat bastards. It looks like shots from behind at the base of the skull and into the spine would be best or in the ear.

Dave