Originally Posted by Eremicus
Derby Dude, you just earned a cigar. Bullseye. Experience makes a huge difference.
For one, you need to survive the mistakes you made in first one(s). Then you know.
Take the post above. How come the FBI agent, who was very near sighted and lost his glasses, didn't fight better ? He lost his glasses and that threw him off. When he was charged, he wasn't prepared for that. Ever had to fight back after taking a solid blow that barely left you able to stand ? It can get that bad very quickly.
Proper, realistic training, and alot of it still isn't from what I've seen, does make a difference. But the ability to react fast enough, coupled with situation awareness, is also crucial. The ability to remain cool and adapt to changing conditions is also important. Training can help all of this. But experience is the best teacher of all.
The real benefit of these types of incidents and many others like them is their value as a training aide. LAPD did just that with their gunfights. And earned the title of having the best survival rate of any big police force, anywhere in the world.
Do you guys remember Stacey Koon of the Rodney King incident ? He went up against a guy armed with an AK-47 and survived. He was armed with a 6 inch, .38 Special revolver with RN ammo BTW. E

Thanks. I've never been in a fire fight but I have taken a blow so hard that I was dazed and couldn't re-act. I just wanted to lay down and rest. In a fire fight or any kind of a fight that's not a good move.

Remember Waco and the ATF after they made initial contact with Koresh and company? The AFT never expected to be attacked and take casualties. They panic and retreated and lost the initiative.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude