Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I'm not aware of the term "Scout Rifle" being in common usage, anywhere, by anyone, until the COL both coined and defined the term, it is what it is, and what you think means nothing. Dogmatic? Ya think? You obviously didn't read much of what Cooper wrote, I suggest you do so in order to appear somewhat less silly in the future.

Well, TAK... it appears that in your estimation no one can discuss the term "scout rifle" unless they accept the Colonel's definition as the final definition, with no further debate as to what the term might mean in a world where guns and ammunition (not to mention tactics!) are continually evolving.

Well, that dog won't hunt. Jeff Cooper may have put forward the concept of a "scout rifle" 20+ years ago, and he may have been the chief proponent of the Modern Technique of the Pistol, but other people with good ideas and good skills have come along since and modified these things. For example: Jeff Cooper loved the Weaver stance. But none of the guys currently winning IPSC, IDPA, or 3-Gun matches are Weaver stance guys. Another example: Jeff founded Gunsite. But I know personally and have taken instruction from at least 3 guys who were Gunsite instructors at one time or another, and have moved on to found their own schools of instruction.

Just because Cooper coined the term "scout rifle" doesn't mean the generally accepted definition of that concept can't be debated or changed as current practitioners of the combat arts see fit. If you want to keep it pristine in honor of the Colonel's memory, you go right ahead. But don't expect the rest of the shooting world to march in lockstep with you.

Thanks Doc for articulating what I have tried to these past several pages. Platt was quickly the only combatant in this melee and it clearly shows what the Scout rifle is capable of. I am not being derogatory to Jeff Cooper when I point this out, as he was right about his concept all along. The mention of the M4 as a scout rifle honors Jeff Cooper, not demeans him!

NRA Life Member