Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the real problem like everyone is saying is rifle fire against pistol fire.

Yup, don't prepare for combat with only a pistol. As COL Cooper said, if he really expected trouble, he'd have a rifle. A Steyr Scout loaded with 110gr. TAP would have ended that affair rather quickly.
I consider the Steyr Scout to be a lousy combat rifle.

How much ammo have you put through one?

I put a few hundred rounds through the very first one to hit my hometown, and I was impressed; very impressed. I consider the Steyr Scout a great all around rifle, exceptionally well designed, outstanding ergonomics. They way they addressed the �scout definition� was innovative to say the least. It�s an excellent hunting rifle that can do light combat duty in a pinch. But against someone who has a semi-auto with a 20 or 30 round magazine at close range, you�re at a serious disadvantage. As the range increases, your disadvantage with the Scout decreases, and of course if the other guy is less trained, that�s a huge equalizer. But all else being equal, I don�t go for the concept of pitting manual action rifles against semi-autos. Like I said, in force on force training, I�ve seen people make good use of effective suppressive fire to first suppress the other guy, then pick him off at leisure once suppressed. The man with the manual action rifle is either flanked by someone else while the man who suppressed him stands watch and keeps him pinned down. Or if it�s a one on one, just waits for him to pop his head up again.

As far as manual action rifles go though, the Steyr Scout is a decent enough fighting rifle. But I just think it�s kind of a fools errand to knowingly choose a manual action gun if you know you may be facing a defensive shooting situation. However, there may be times where manual action is the only option. In such instances, one could do a whole lot worse than the Steyr Scout. Like I said, it�s a SLICK rifle.