Originally Posted by JOG
FWIW, I agree with TAK and Gmoats - Jeff Cooper 'owns' the term "Scout Rifle", so different ideas need simply need to come up with a different name. IIRC, Jeff Cooper called a .223 version of the Steyr a "poodle scout". wink

Comparing the M4 to the Scout Rifle is fair on a shootout-themed thread, but it only tells a fraction of the story. Cooper used terms such as general-purpose and utility to describe his concept. Cooper's concept was a rifle that a man could hunt the earth with, and also useful should a fight happen to break out. To be a better mousetrap, the M4 would have to do everything better than the Scout Rifle. On those terms, I'd probably pick his Scout Rifle.

Well, in that case, I'll take an AR10 or equivalent carbine chambered in .308 over a Steyr Scout Rifle.

Mind you, I'm not saying I'd be willing to go up against Randy Cain with his Scout Rifle (or, worse, his short version .308 Win Model 70 all-purpose rifle which he modelled on Cooper's Scout Rifle concept) using my AR10. There is such a thing as knowing one's limitations. grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars