Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
[quote=KevinGibson][quote=Take_a_knee][quote=cumminscowboy] the real problem like everyone is saying is rifle fire against pistol fire.

As far as manual action rifles go though, the Steyr Scout is a decent enough fighting rifle. But I just think it�s kind of a fools errand to knowingly choose a manual action gun if you know you may be facing a defensive shooting situation. However, there may be times where manual action is the only option. In such instances, one could do a whole lot worse than the Steyr Scout. Like I said, it�s a SLICK rifle.

I would argue the semi-auto isn't as effective as most think in the non-military role. By that I mean people massed into squads and trained to mass fires as directed by a squad leader. Someone who's been to Gunsite or attended Randy Cain's Practical Rifle Class with a Steyr really doesn't give up that much with a SScout, and what is added is a rifle capable of dumping the most determined adversary with a well-placed shot, and with that rifle,quickly placing it where it needs to go is easier than any other, IMO.

You would roll out of the car with 15rds on the Scout, 30 with an AR, nothing to sneer at, but there were only two bad guys.

You can certainly make the argument that a modern AR set up to 3-gun standards and loaded with 77gr SMK's or 70 Bergers would be nearly the fight stopper as the little 308 Steyr and be equally as handy. In 1986 though, such a setup didn't exist, it would have been an iron-sited A1. In fairness the Scout Rifle was in it's infancy at Gunsite as well.

The little Steyr is accurate enough to serve as a law enforcement counter-sniper rifle and light and handy enough to be a fight-stopping defensive carbine.