Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by supercrewd
While not true to the definition, a M4 with an aimpoint is a scout rifle.

No, not even close. By definition, it must be adequate for game up to 400 kilos. I attended Randy Cain's Practical Rifle Class with a gal who'd been there about five times IIRC. She had a lightened 700 with a KDF'd 16in #1 barrel in a Lone Wolf stock, wearing a 1.5x5 Leupy. She was hell on wheels with that thing. She could go prone and dump a man at 200yd before you could say don't. Her husband took her to Africa with her little 308. She dumped five head of plains game with one round of 308 light magnum per critter.

Here's the deal. If you want rifle that hits like Thor's hammer, and handles like a 20gauge quail gun, it can't be gas gun.

only one problem with your thinking. nothing is shooting at you in anything you describe. if bad guys are shooting at you. you WILL want a semi auto, why do you think the military quit using bolt guns during WW2?? if they were so great at handling bad guys why isn't the 1903 still king. remember most bad guys are not standing there in the open and ready to be shot. they are firing at you. you peak out fire one round and have to move the gun totally away from around the corner to work the bolt. a semi just keeps pouring fire and if the bad guy shows himself he has a round in him. the problem with bolt guns is you have to totally move off target to work the bolt.

in a short range battle inside 20 yards, I think I would choose a glock with a couple of full mags over ANY bolt gun.